Who is Edouard Blacque?
(1824-1895): Ottoman journalist and diplomat of French origin.
- Editor of the semi-official newspaper “Courrier de Constantinople,” published in İzmir in French, (1846)
- Attaché and then First Secretary in Turkey’s Paris Embassy (1853).
- Turkey’s first ambassador to the United States (1867-1873). Thanks to his efforts in USA, bilateral trade volume exceeded 1 million dollars first time.
- Turkey’s first local government mayor; director of Sixth Municipal Dept. of Istanbul, the first such civic administration in Turkey. (1878-1890) Thanks to his efforts, Pera became more elegant and comfortable area.
- He opened up the İstanbul’s first Municipality Building that is on the northern end of the First Municipality Street, on which our hotel is located.